2010 Cornerstone Initiative
Energy and a Sustainable Environment
Our nation is blessed with some of the most abundant natural resources on the planet. Our rich soils and abundant fresh water feed the world and our minerals drive commerce. Still, raw materials are finite and must be managed to provide not only for us but for the generations to follow. Candidates should support policies that:
• Promote the development of American power sources while maintaining our natural resources;
• Respect the role market forces play in determining effective solutions;
• Strengthen energy transmission and infrastructure;
• Promote smart, responsible energy efficiency; and
• Encourage private development of renewable fuel sources.
Affordable health care is essential to individual achievement and employee productivity. Government-mandated health programs are limited in how they can address the assorted needs of all Americans. Federal policies should:
• Use the existing employer-sponsored health care system as a basis to contain costs and avoid mandating plan
• Continually evaluate the health care law passed by Congress in 2010 for its effectiveness, costs and unintended
by- products; and
• Ensure implementation of the law is transparent and does not become a burden for employees and their
employers due to new mandates and costs.
Throughout our history, American enterprise has set the pace of the world’s economic development through hard work, risk taking and innovation. Candidates should support policies that understand this, as well as those that:
• Encourage investment by eliminating the double taxation on investments and inheritance;
• Reward investments that create jobs;
• Create incentives that support innovation and research to enhance America’s competitiveness; and
• Support American commerce and individuals with tax policies that stimulate growth.
American workersare the most productive in the world. This productivity is critical to the ability of American
business to stay competitive. For America to thrive in the global economy, candidates should support policies
• Ensure workplace rules and regulations are fair, flexible and balanced;
• Protect employees’ rights to private ballots and to privately make choices about their future; and
• Preserve freedom of speech protections in the workplace.